[Please read to the end]
To the glory of Allaah, few hours ago, the number of lectures on the dawahcast portal surpassed 10,000!
For us, this is an important milestone.
It gives the team a much needed reassurance and encouragement that, in sha Allah, our sustained efforts is having real impact.
The question now is, AND THEN WHAT?
The reward for good work is more work. Rather than relax, we are already thinking about:
How does the Ummah derive the maximum value out of this huge and growing multimedia base?
Going forward, to address this concern, we have drawn a plan.
In sha Allah, our dawahcasting blueprint would consist of five points:
- Enhance and simplify the capacity of site users to navigate through & use the site resources.
- Radically improve the search mechanism such that users can specify fine-grained details of what they want. In fact, we hope to be able to intelligently recommend lectures based on listening trend, online behaviour etc, in sha Allah.
- Open up other channels through which users can access the resources other than directly on the dawahcast portal (i.e pluggable APIs, Youtube, app, third-party content integration etc).
- We intend to open up the dawahcast project to crowd-sourced, community-driven initiatives. Everyone, you and me, would be able to directly pick a piece of the pie and create value.
- Open up our technologies, tell our stories and fire-up the next generation
As part of our activities to celebrate the milestone with the Ummah and in line with the second point in the blueprint above, we are launching DN Tafseer Search.
Simply explained; for 5 years, we have been posting and streaming several LIVE and recorded Ramadan Quran Tafseer sessions across the nation.
Good news - We now have thousands of tafseer lectures (around 4000) in various languages.
How about having a dedicated search for tafseer whereby you just specify a particular verse and we give you all the multimedia we have where that verse was discussed.
Bad news - Current form of tafseer lectures are badly titled and not in a query-able structure for intelligent search
What we did
- We identified all the tafseer audios on dawahcast
- Listened to them INDIVIDUALLY in their thousands to identify the exact verses being discussed
- Renamed the tafseer lecture to include the verses discussed (before now we only named tafseer lectures as i.e Tafseeer Ustadh Luqman Idris 1436 - Day 4)
- Tagged EACH tafseer recording with each ayah discussed having a tag
- Built a system to search through the tags.
I hereby introduce you to DN DEDICATED TAFSEER SEARCH SYSTEM
Do you want to listen to a lecture addressing that ayah you want to know about?
Simply select the Surah and verse below and boom! You get a list of DN lectures where that verse was explained.
Clearly, we need help!
The tafseer dimension is just one of several ways to open up the portal and enhance information retrieval.
This alone took our team a lot of time and efforts to plan and execute. We are even yet to finish as we have only done for Yoruba & English tafseer lectures (no team member speaks Hausa).
That explains why we see opening up the portal to admin-moderated but community-driven initiatives as the only way to crack this problem.
Are you ready to be in the forefront of the movement?
We would be sending request for volunteers soon.
O you who have believed, be supporters of Allah , as when Jesus, the son of Mary, said to the disciples, "Who are my supporters for Allah ?" The disciples said, "We are supporters of Allah ." Q61:14
It has been established that the Messenger (sallAllaahu 'alayhi wa sallam) said,
“Whoever calls to guidance will have the reward similar to all those who follow him without their reward diminishing in any way and whoever calls to misguidance, he will have the sins similar to all those who follow him without their sins decreasing in any way."
[Saheeh Muslim (4/2060)]
abu haneefah ibraaheem ath-thaqaafee M.Inf.Sc,PMP,CISA,COBIT5
The E-dawah Foundation
"Reviving the Ummah, byte by byte"